Wednesday

i'm starting a new chapter in my life, even though none of you got to read the last one.

i don't really have the energy (or desire) to organize my thoughts right now, but here are some bits and pieces of my life so far here at Dixie State.

sorry for the long silence. but just so you know, we've still got it going on in apartment number six. sometimes our dishes go crazy and sometimes we have to yank hair clogs out of the shower drain, but whenever we reach the end of our ropes, we tie knots in them and hang on. living is... quite the experience. 

for three months now my territory has been claimed by 68 pictures of things and people i love. i sticky-tacked them to my cinder block wall and they greet me every time i walk into my bedroom.

if you ever come for a visit, there is one thing that you will see and for sure ask questions about. my champion window. so let me just explain that now. here at brookmont, we understand that sharing is caring. we have a little laundry hut where we share washers and dryers with the other tenants, so every once in a while i will end up with a stray sock or a pair of panties that does not belong to me. uncomfortable, you think? not so! i find it quite funny and so i hang them from my blinds. they are my trophies. (for those of you living at brookmont, if you are missing a pair of polka-dotty/lacey blue panties, they are hanging from my window. you may reclaim them if you so desire). please refrain from judging me, i find the oddest ways to amuse myself. it's how i get through the days.

it also helps that i meet great new people every day. sometimes i just pick up a random conversation with someone while walking to my next class, and sometimes i'm introduced to a new face through a mutual friend. matt, cody, miah, chris, lindsley, megan, tabitha, olivia, sabrina, dee, andrew, logan, britney, shawn, cami, tara, jordan, kelvin, brad, fish, ryan raymond ross, tanner... they're all incredible. everyone in my ward is awesome. so are the people in my institute classes. their faces are radiant and their spirits are familiar and comfortable to me. the people here make me euphoric. 

so there's that.

okay, story time. 

for those of you who don't know, i was hired on as a delivery girl at pizza hut. 


(that's jess, my roommate. she is a manager there. i look like a little kid in this picture. whateva)

it was a great job because i spent a lot of time just listening to music in my car and sightseeing st. george. it was also great because my car smelled like baked cheese and hot wings 100% of the time, which all the guys found super appealing (not). unfortunately, as you know, every job has its good parts and its bad parts. i ended up putting in my two weeks after a miscommunication concerning availability between my manager and i. according to my memory, i had asked her when i was interviewing if they were okay with my availability (no Sundays/Tuesdays and no mornings on weekdays) and she had told me that, "of course they were willing to work around my availability. they are very flexible with hours" etc, etc. long story short, i ended up getting scheduled for a Sunday shift. when i called in and told her that i was not available on Sundays, she told me that everyone has to take their turns working on Sunday. after lots of prayers and unsuccessfully trying to find someone who could cover my shift, i ended up going in on Sunday. 

you guys.

it was the hardest thing i've ever done.

not only did i cry for 3 hours after getting my answer, but i cried for and hour before going into work and then i cried for two hours after i got off. 

some people can work on Sundays and stay strong in the faith and feel fine with it. let me tell you: if you are one of those people i admire you. i cannot do it. it was so draining to my spirit. at the time, i couldn't understand why the Lord would direct me to work on Sunday. to be honest, i was totally gung-ho to call in and quit right then and there and tell them that my religion was more important to me than my job. i wanted to keep the commandments. i was ready to show the Lord that i would choose him over anything. 

that's not what He wanted for me. He had something else to teach me. i am grateful for His lesson in patience and understanding, but i am more grateful for the reassurance that i never have to go back there again. i learned what i was supposed to. praise Him for that.

anyway :) i put in my two weeks and finished my time there in a respectful and positive way. i was sad to leave my new friends, and it was trying to my faith... not know if i would have a source of income in order to pay my bills and feed myself, but i know that the Lord always provides for those who follow His words. i am happy to announce that i found an even better job. i was hired on for seasonal help at sees candy making $9.50 an hour. isn't that great!? 

but in honor of my time at pizza hut, i've compiled a list of things that i learned while driving for them. in order to make things a little bit easier for my fellow pizza deliverers across the nation, i hope you will read my words and follow my advice. here goes.

things you should take into consideration when ordering a pizza:

if you're going to yell at the delivery girl no matter what she does to placate you, don't call back unless it's to apologize.

don't order anchovies, even if you think you like them. you don't. they smell like toe fungus and can't taste all that good, either. your poor delivery girl had to gag all the way down riverside drive to your apartment, and the stench is still present on her passenger seat cushion. she's not happy.  

to all the morticians out there: i used to think you were creepy. thank you for proving me wrong. 

to anyone who is under the impression that morticians are creepy: morticians are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. 

please don't place a web order for a delivery pizza if you don't know your own address. you can't just make up a fake address for a delivery. furthermore, don't blame your delivery girl when she's late getting it to you. she just spent 20 minutes trying to find the address you gave her. guess what? it didn't exist.

don't ask your delivery person to go around to your back door or come down to your basement. it's creepy under all circumstances. your pizza is being brought straight to your house. the least you can do is walk to the front door, does your laziness know no bounds!? (unless you can't walk, then this doesn't apply to you and i am horribly sorry for your disability)

if you order over $50 of pizza and drinks and don't tip your delivery boy/girl, it really is like a slap in the face. even stingy $1-$2 tips are insulting. tip your delivery people as if they were your server at your favorite restaurant. we only make $4/hr and we need your help to pay for college and the occasional grinder combo from nielsons (which we love). 

lastly, don't tell us to "come in" when we're delivering to your hotel room. we can't open your door - we'd need a key for that. we don't have a key for that. not to mention our hands and arms are full of pizza and credit card receipts. help us help you.

anyway. 

thank you, to the big tippers out there. it's because of you that i've been eating the past three months. thank you to the people who were understanding when your deliveries got there late that one Friday night because my tire popped and my coworker had to deliver them all even though she's never done that before. thank you to the people who let their little girl answer the door and tell me all about what she's going to do for her grandpa's birthday party. she was adorable. thank you to all the people who didn't yell when you had every right to. thank you to the angry road rage guy who called back to apologize for scaring the life out of my eyes, even though i completely cut you off and didn't realize it. and lastly, thank you to my coworkers for making me laugh and for telling me your engagement stories and for not rolling your eyes when i asked a million stupid questions and mostly for being my friends.

i'm off to new places. but i'll never forget the old memories because i learned so much and they meant everything to me. 

i love this life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment