Monday

we'll start with the time I....

so since i disappeared for a few months i'm going to periodically catch you up on what's been going on in my life. but fair warning, i don't expect it to go in any order, and you shouldn't either. since i've got quite a few things to write about, i'll just start wherever feels right...

how about the time i graduated from seminary


that's a really low quality picture, i know. but i felt so cool with my seminary diploma. it was a big deal for me. and here's the story of why.

for those of you who know me well enough, i've told you at least (big emphasis on the least) once about my stomach pain. i know, some of you are unbelievably sick of hearing about it. but even though people are tired of listening to my problems it hasn't made them go away. it never will. i am doing significantly better now, but for a long time i didn't know how to handle my pain. so i skipped school - seminary included. 

most of my teachers were very understanding, and were willing to work with me on assignments i had missed. but the hands of my seminary teachers were tied. although they were sympathetic toward my pain, they still had to follow the rules of attendance set forth by the leaders of our church. so, i could make up my seminary credit, but only when i had completed the required number of lessons corresponding with the number of days i had missed.

unfortunately, i didn't see the immediate benefits of completing my seminary courses. i was under a lot of stress to make up the credit from my other classes; this just didn't seem as pressing as the other things i was dealing with. i had a testimony of the gospel and i read and studied my scriptures regularly. yes, i loved being in seminary, but i couldn't see the benefits of making it up alone. how was i supposed to learn without a teacher there to show me the way and to inspire me?

well kids, it is about that time when the moral of the story comes in to play. 

this year, my teacher, brother boucher, came up to me and told me that he had taken special note of my three incomplete years of seminary. his solution? get me graduated regardless of all that. brother boucher had been one of the best teachers i'd ever met, and i felt very inspired that what he was telling me to do was the absolute best thing for me. shortly thereafter, as i was taking a little service vacation in mexico city, i decided that i wanted to serve a mission. and all the other puzzle pieces started falling into place.

so i started doing the make-up lessons, and the things that i studied and new knowledge i gained... they were incredible. i felt happy and fulfilled. i made up all three failed years of seminary with a little persistence and a lot of encouragement from friends and teachers. it was then that i realized - we always have a teacher with us, wherever we go. the spirit is waiting and ready to teach us unimaginable things if we just open our hearts and minds.

i couldn't have been happier when my graduation day finally came, and i was sitting next to my bishop in the chapel of my stake center preparing to receive my diploma. the spirit burned in my heart as the graduating youth sang the as sisters in zion and we'll bring the world his truth medley. and when i finally walked across that stage with a giant smile on my face, i realized that this was the first big step i was taking in preparation for my mission, and it felt REALLY good.

my thoughts turned to whoever i would be serving for those rapidly approaching 18 months, and i knew that i hadn't done the makeup work for my teachers or for my parents or even for myself. i did it for them. someone out there somewhere is waiting for me, and i am getting ready to find them. 

and find them i will. 

1 comment:

  1. LOVE! and i wish you the best of luck in your journey towards a mission. love you (:

    ReplyDelete